Stained Glass Windows

Download PDF

The stained glass windows in St Andrew’s Uniting Church, Brisbane are in good condition and form a beautiful and interesting collection.

The church as it was originally designed by the architect, George Payne, was to have its windows glazed in pastel coloured leadlights. Some of these remain as seen in the Merrington Peace Chapel and St Andrew’s Hall beneath the church.  Others have been replaced by stained glass. The first were the beautiful series in the north wall depicting the Nativity, Crucifixion and Ascension of Jesus and later the windows in the nave and Rees-Thomas Mission Chapel were mostly crafted by R S Exton & Co and designed by William Bustard.

William Bustard (1884 – 1973) was a Brisbane-based designer, and one of Australia’s leading traditional stained glass artists in the years before and after the Second World War. He was born in Yorkshire and studied art before joining White Friars Studio (James Powel & Sons) where he was trained as a stained glass designer/artist. He served in World War 1 and returned to White Friars before coming to Australia in 1921. In the period before the Second World War, he designed windows for Extons in Brisbane, a leading stained glass firm from the 1880s until the 1950s.