War Memorial Window

Download PDF


The Crucifixion

This window was dedicated as a memorial to the thirty-nine War Dead of the Great War from this Church. It was presented by William Black, the famous benefactor of the Presbyterian Church and member of St Andrew’s.

The work was originally designed and built in the Studio of Brooks-Robinson, Melbourne in 1922. By the year 2002, Brisbane climatic conditions had severely affected its condition, making it necessary to carry out urgent work. It was removed and reconstructed in the studios of Cummins and Stehn, Eumundi, Queensland and rededicated in St Andrew’s 2003.

The inscription reads:

Panel A: Woman behold thy Son
Panel B: To the Glory of God and the memory of our beloved who fell in duty’s cause 1914-1919
Panel C: Behold thy Mother

The names of the 39 young men who paid the supreme sacrifice are engraved on a brass plate in the Merrington Anzac Memorial Peace Chapel.